Thursday, November 5, 2015

WEDIN Day 5: The Scary Future

When I was younger, I always would say that I wanted to be an author because I loved books so much. As I grew up, I started to realize that it might not be the best career for me. (I briefly mentioned this in my book review of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.) Because I knew I wasn't going to pursue being an author, I would always wonder what I was truly interested in. I love Language Arts and know I always will, so that will most likely (I guess you can never be sure until it's time) be what I study in college. Today, my friends and I started talking about college and I started to feel nervous. That is what to led me writing this post today.

I've discovered some jobs in English that I think I would enjoy. I really liked the idea of being a commissioning editor, which is a person that reads manuscripts and if he/she likes it, the next step is to convince the publishing company to publish the book. This seems kind of like a dream job because, in a very basic way, it's reading and talking about a book that you like. I really think I would enjoy that job. A more in depth description of the job can be found here. I also am very interested in journalism and non-fiction writing. I would really enjoy writing articles for magazines or newspapers. I wish my school had a journalism elective or club, because I would love to get to experience more of that.

Now to explaining the title of this post. Although I do have some ideas on what I would like to study, there is still the entire college part. I know I still have two and a half years left, but I'm very scared for college. The entire process of getting in to actually attending seems terrifying, but at the same time I've always felt very ready for college. I have always been mature compared to others my age and that left me always wanting to find more people like me. Also, the freedom of college sounds lovely. Not just independence, but the educational freedom of really getting to just study what I love. I'm also very scared about the financial part of college. My family is in no way poor, but college is so much money. Also, my brother starts next fall and I don't know how that will go.  I do believe that I might be overreacting a little, but I just everything to work out.

I didn't this would be my topic today, but I'm very glad I did. Although no one is really reading this blog now, I do feel like I'm talking to someone as I write. It's definitely a nice way to let out my opinions without needing to have someone with me. There wasn't a set point to this, but I enjoyed it. I'll be back tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment