Monday, November 2, 2015

WEDIN Day 2: Book Review

Book Review for Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

*This review contains spoilers.*

I love this book. It is one my favorite books and I have read it at least 3 times. (I love to reread books.) Although the book is about a girl in college, I still felt like I could relate to it very much.

The main character of the book is a girl named Cath. She is in the Simon Snow fandom ( a sort of parody of Harry Potter) and her entire life revolves around that. One of the main plots of the book is that Cath has to try to adapt her fandom life, which many don't understand or find immature, to her life as an "adult". I related to this a lot because I am part of many fandoms and can't imagine my life without them- they make up who I am. People always tell me that I'll "get over it" one day, but I know that's probably not going to happen. This led to me liking the book because it was unlike anything I had ever read before and the author really knew what she was writing about. I'm pretty sure that the amount of books on fangirls and internet culture is still very low.

Cath is studying to be a writer, because she loves writing fanfiction and is very good at it. But when she tries to turn in an assignment using the characters from Simon Snow, she realizes that fanfiction doesn't count as real writing and it is considered plagiarism. (Although some might find this debatable.) I also related to this because I love writing and reading, but I am sadly not the most creative person. When I was younger I dreamed of becoming an author, but I know that won't happen because I can't think of own ideas. I wish I could make up stories about my favorite characters, but I can't.

The book is also very, what I call, "mushy". Which is basically a very fairy-tale like love story with very adorable moments. I LOVE romantic books, so this was just a very nice bonus.

This book was just perfect for me. I think that if I had read it not knowing about fandoms, it wouldn't of had the same impact. It definitely would only make sense to those who truly understand the world of fangirling.

No comments:

Post a Comment