Monday, November 16, 2015

WEDIN Day 16: Series Review

Series Review for the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth


*This review contains HUGE spoilers.*

This series was pretty good. It was no where near The Hunger Games, but they were still compared quite often. I think it lacked something special to make it stand out from other distopian books. The series didn't stick in my head and it wasn't something that I continued to think about after finishing. I can't remember details from any of the books unlike many others.

Although I did enjoy the first two book of the series, the last book, Allegiant, definitely ruined it for me. It seemed like it didn't fit in with the previous books. It was kind of like the Maze Runner, where only the first book focuses in the maze and the rest are completely separate. It was very random and Tris and Tobias seemed to argue over the randomest things - something that never happened before. I also feel like the ending was entirely uncalled for. I understand that sometimes the main character dies, but Tris's death was so lame and unnecessary. It didn't add to the plot in any way. It also was very anticlimactic - she survives so much, including poison gas, but dies by getting shot. I just had higher hopes for the last book and it left me feeling very disappointed even now. I should probably reread it and see if my opinion changes at all.

The first book is my favorite because I find the entire universe that Veronica Roth created to be very interesting and they way it was introduced throughout the book was amazing. She did a very good job of establishing from the very beginning that there is a lot than meets the eye in every aspect of the book.

Insurgent I didn't like quite as much, because it seemed kind of slow and I wasn't as captured by it. It seemed much more dull than Divergent. 

If asked, I would recommended the series but with a disclaimer about how I hated the last book. 

This isn't about the book series, but I will say that so far the first two movie adaptations have been horrible. They took out many key parts and it has many more action scences that are very unnatural with the plot.
I'm Erudite and Divergent because I can't pick between "teaching" and "learning"


No comments:

Post a Comment