Friday, November 27, 2015

WEDIN Day 27: Book Review

Book Review for The Amazing Book is Not on Fire: The World of Dan and Phil by Dan Howell and Phil Lester

*This review might contain spoilers (sorry Dan)*

I bought this book today and I already owned the audiobook so I spent the entire 4 hours listening to the book and looking at the pages without any pause. It was definitely worth it and I laughed quite a lot.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed reading this book so much if I didn't already know who Dan and Phil were. For the fans, this book is definitely a great way to relive amazing moments, learn some new things about them, and just to be able to go back to some of the highlights of Dan and Phil's entire careers.

The first thing I want to say is that I love the way the book was formatted. It seems like Dan and Phil are just talking to you about moments of their life. Also, because I know their voices it really does seem like they're speaking to me. It's so much fun to read, especially the parts that include bits of my favorite videos. The book is really a collection of everything anyone could want. I also really enjoyed the amount of pictures and cute designs scattered around the pages. You can really tell that it's their book.

The book beings with a small glimpse into Dan and Phil's lives before they began making their YouTube videos. It was so cute to see pictures from their high school years. I really loved the scans of their diaries as kids. I enjoyed being able to see what they were like before we all got to know them. There were also many pictures that showed the contrast between Dan and Phil, for example a picture of their wardrobe. (Dan's is entirely black and Phil's is an explosion of all kinds of colors.) There were also word collages (are those a thing?) with stuff said from the Phil is Not of Fire videos, a huge part of the fandom.

Ever since I finished reading it, I haven't stopped going back to random pages and re-reading parts or just looking at the pictures. It's literally the entire Dan and Phil universe at my fingertips, even more than their channels. I know I will probably end up going back to it often, whenever I'm bored or have nothing to do. It will definitely cheer me up if I'm feeling down and I don't need WiFi for it.

I would recommend reading this after watching at least one video of each or one video with both. More would definitely help, but I think one would be a good introduction. They do a good job of explaining why this book was made in the intro but I still think knowing even more before starting would help.

*Side Note: I got a signed copy!!! Their signatures look so nice and I'm so happy I could get it because I wasn't able to go to the book signing they did a couple weeks ago.*




No comments:

Post a Comment