Sunday, November 22, 2015

WEDIN Day 22: YouTube

I love YouTube. It's a place that I know, without a doubt, that will always make happy. I started watching YouTube when I was about 7 and I would watch NigaHiga, Shane Dawson, FRED, and Smosh. From that moment, I began to discover more youtubers and watch more and more videos. Now I watch an average of 4 hours everyday. A lot of people, mainly adults, don't really get what the whole YouTube thing is, but I've watched it grow over the years and I know that soon everyone will know about it.

One of my main reasons for liking YouTube so much is that the people making the videos seem like friends because we, the viewers, can connect with them. They're not playing parts written by some person who has no clue what teenagers feel, they're just being themselves. I personally feel like I can relate to so many of the youtubers I watch.

I also love how YouTube can bring together so many people from all over the world. It's not just American people. I watch youtubers from all over the world and I get to learn about their countries. And there's fans from all over the world. On Twitter, I've met so many people who watch the same videos as me and they can live on the other side of the planet.

I've been to VidCon, a YouTube convention, twice now and am planning on returning next year. It's such a great way for me to actually get to meet some of my favorite youtubers and to actually see how big it has become. My parents don't really get why I would spend money on it, but I'm just lucky they let me do it. I also went to a concert in October and the artist, Troye Sivan, was a youtuber It's great to see how youtubers are starting to transform old media. 

YouTube has been a huge influence on my life. When I was younger it opened up my eyes to things like the LGBT+ community. (I watch at least one youtuber that falls into each category.) YouTube is one of the reasons that I'm so open minded today. Not just with the LGBT+ community, but with so much more. It's formed the way I think and see things in the world and even how I make my own opinions. I truly don't know who I'd be if I hadn't started watching those funny videos so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment