Thursday, November 19, 2015

WEDIN Day 19: Mockingjay Part 2 Movie Review

(I'M STILL IN THE THEATER THE MOVIE JUST ENDED THIS POST IS GOING TO BE A MESS OF FEELINGS.)

So it's 9:34 pm and I just left the theater and I have a lot to say.

To start, I'm going to say this isn't going to be serious or professional in any way. There will be many caps and lots of emotions all over the place. Also, **this review will contain VERY HUGE spoilers**

So the first thing I felt was that everything was going by way too fast but I think that's because I kind of forgot it was "Part 2". There are a few things that are different like that Effie is in 13 and Coin seems much friendlier towards Katniss. Those differences came from the first part. I also always wondered why Gary Ross, the director of the first movie, decided to not make the stylist teams as important as they are in the books.

The entire District 2 mission was more or less exactly the same as the book.

NOW FOR A BIG DIFFERENCE. In the books, Katniss trains to be a soldier and best to go to the Capitol with a squad, but in the movie she sneaks onto a cargo hovercraft going to the Capitol (which makes no sense because the rebels wouldn't be sending anything toward their enemies). And then when she arrives, Gale is there? Which I never noticed he was gone. This leads to Coin showing her first inclination of dislike towards Katniss. (What I didn't like about this was that it seemed as if Coin's ill feelings and insecurities about Katniss came from no where. In the book, from the very beginning there was tension.) The " Star Squad" is still a thing and that entire thing, including Peeta's arrival, are also almost the same.

I think all the deaths were kept the same except for Mesalla, who gets his flesh melted off like a candle, because I'm pretty sure he wasn't in any of the movies. I didn't cry as much as I thought I would and that was probably because the deaths were filled with so much action that I was too anxious to cry. If I watched it again, I think I'd cry more.

The only thing I really didn't like was that after Prim dies, the way Katniss talks to Gale at their first meeting is very different. When she asks if the bomb was his, he doesn't mention that Beetee doesn't know either and it doesn't matter because she won't be able to forget it. And then Katniss dismisses him like she's ending the friendship, which never happens. Also, when Katniss and Haymitch leave the Capitol for 12 instead of Plutarch sending them away it's Effie. They use the same lines that Plutarch would have said but it's weird. And Haymitch kisses Effie which confused me very much. The rest of the ending was the same.

The movie was almost exactly the same as the book, as all the rest have been, and the only differences were small and didn't affect much.

I love this movie and I love the books. I love Suzanne Collins and Jennifer Lawrence and the entire cast. I'm going to miss this so much. I'll no longer be able to look forward to November. *lifts 3 fingers toward my Hunger Games poster.*

No comments:

Post a Comment