Tuesday, November 24, 2015

WEDIN Day 24: Book Review

Book Review for The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

*This review will contain spoilers.*

I know that I read this book for the first time at least two eyes ago. I can't remember what about it caught my eye, but I think it was the cover. I think that I first saw it at a library and decided to check it out. All I know is that from that first time, it became one of my favorite books. I remember thinking that it should be much more popular because it was so good.

The book is very different from anything that I've ever read. I can't relate to the main character in many ways, but I found her so endearing and interesting. The life that she had was so strange, but realistic and I still wonder where the author drew her inspiration from when creating that. The language of the book is so descriptive, it felt like I was watching it happen, not just reading words. Lennie's narration is is beautiful that it brings life to everything, even the music notes that you can't actually hear. When she describes music I feel as if I can hear what she is hearing because it's so vivid. The way it uses words reminds me of The Book Thief. It's very different from other books and that makes it so much more interesting.

I love how between each chapter is on note that Lennie has written. It allows the reader to get to know her so much more. Some were about Bailey, which allowed you to see more into her grief, while others are random, and let us get to understand more of Lennie.

The book is very, very romantic. I love the love story the author created. It's filled with so much adorableness and, although it's still very fairy tale like, it seems so much more realistic than other books. Lennie and Joe seem such original characters that it's impossible not to fall in love with them. Their stories aren't very common, and everything about them is fascinating to me.

Now, I've read the book at least 4 times and I don't think I'll ever stop re-reading it. Whenever I recommend it someone, I'm always worried they won't enjoy it. I can definitely see how this book isn't for everyone, but I still think it's perfect.

"But what if music is what escapes when a heart breaks?"
"What do you do when the worst thing that can happen actually happens?"
"...if you're someone who knows the worst thing can happen at any time, aren't you also someone who knows the best thing can happen at any time too?"
(It seems like all my favorite quotes from this book are questions...hm....)
"It's such a colossal effort not be haunted by what's lost, but to be enchanted by what was."
These are just some of my favorite lines (but if I were completely honest I would just put the entire book here because it's that great.)
The newest cover (and the one that I have).

The cover that caught my eye and led me to read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment