Thursday, November 12, 2015

WEDIN Day 12: The Power of Words

"The limits of my language means the limits of my world." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

While brainstorming ideas for today's writing my mind wandered off into thoughts about words. Words have always been fascinating to me and my thoughts left me feeling very inspired to write about them. For as long as I can remember, I've loved to read. I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading a book or searching for a new one. As a child, I would read to find out what adventure my favorite characters would embark on. As I got older, I began to appreciate these books more and find some deeper meanings to what I was reading, even if the book was just a dystopian society crumbling under it's corrupt government. Now I know how beautiful words really are. They are so powerful and can cause so much to happen. 

The Book Thief is one of my favorite books because the power of words is emphasized so much. The narrator loves to read but has to do it in secret so she truly appreciates the books and words that she gets. That was one of those books that once you're done reading, all you can do is think about it. When I read it, it was one the first times I really thought about how much words really mean to me. I already knew they were important but that made me think about how much they have shaped my life.

I find it amazing how all the people on the planet could be thinking the same thing, but the way of saying it can be so different. I speak two languages fluently and am learning a third. If I could I would spend years learning as many languages as possible. I really want to learn sign language because I find that to be very intriguing. It's a silent language that holds just as much power as a spoken could. All languages are so complex and beautiful in their own ways. I can't really explain why I like the idea of languages so much. I just know that I always have.

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say infinitely when you mean very; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite." - C.S. Lewis
I love this quote. I definitely think that sometimes words can be overused. As the quote says there is no reason to replace the word "very" with "infinite" for the sake of having as more complex sentence. Although I don't always use all the words I know, knowing that I can is all I need. I use the words that I have to use. Sometimes stronger words are needed and that's when they should be used. 

Words can be beautiful but they can also be horrible. Just as much as words could bring a person up, they could knock someone down. I think that's why sometimes bullying doesn't have to violent to be hurtful. In some ways getting beat up might leave less scars than harmful words being used as insults. I know how much simple words have helped me get through rough days or stressful times. That's why books and songs can be so helpful. No matter how many times I listen or reread them, they will always be there waiting. I always go back to my favorite books and read just my favorite scene, or sometimes the entire book, because it improve my mood. Sometimes I'll do nothing but read so I can block out the rest of the world. 

I love getting random bursts of inspiration, like what brought today's post. This wasn't original idea for today, but I really wanted to write about it. I'll probably use the other idea tomorrow or some other day, when I have no inspiration. 

*I got the two quote above from here. This link also has many other great quotes about the power of words.*


Another great quote about words.



No comments:

Post a Comment